Fighting Words by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- If you want a signed copy, please note that in the order comment box. If you would like it inscribed, please tell us exactly what you want the inscription to say in the order comment box, as well.
- Kimberly will be stopping by every couple weeks to sign her books. We will ship them out promptly after that & provide you with a tracking number!
A candid and fierce middle grade novel about sisterhood and sexual abuse, by Newbery Honor winner and #1 New York Times best seller Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
"Fighting Words is raw, it is real, it is necessary, a must-read for children and their adults--a total triumph in all ways." --Holly Goldberg Sloan, New York Times bestselling author of Counting by 7s
Ten-tear-old Della has always had her older sister, Suki: When their mom went to prison, Della had Suki. When their mom's boyfriend took them in, Della had Suki. When that same boyfriend did something so awful they had to run fast, Della had Suki. Suki is Della's own wolf--her protector. But who has been protecting Suki? Della might get told off for swearing at school, but she has always known how to keep quiet where it counts. Then Suki tries to kill herself, and Della's world turns so far upside down, it feels like it's shaking her by the ankles. Maybe she's been quiet about the wrong things. Maybe it's time to be loud.
In this powerful novel that explodes the stigma around child sexual abuse and leavens an intense tale with compassion and humor, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley tells a story about two sisters, linked by love and trauma, who must find their own voices before they can find their way back to each other.
"One of the most important books ever written for kids."--Colby Sharp of Nerdy Book Club
"One for the history books....One of the best of the year."--Betsy Bird for A Fuse #8 Production/SLJ
"Gripping. Life-changing...I am awe-struck."--Donna Gephart, author of Lily and Dunkin
"Compassionate, truthful, and beautiful."--Elana K. Arnold, author of Damsel
"I am blown away. [This] may be Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's best work yet."--Barbara Dee, author of Maybe He Just Likes You
"A book that lets [kids] know they have never been alone. And never will be." --Kat Yeh, author of The Truth About Twinkie Pie
* "At once heartbreaking and hopeful."--Kirkus (starred review)
* "Honest [and] empowering...An important book for readers of all ages."--SLJ (starred review)
* "Sensitive[,] deft, and vivid."--BCCB (starred review)
* "Prepare to read furiously."--Booklist (starred review)
* "An essential, powerful mirror and window for any reader."--PW (starred review)
* "Unforgettable." --The Horn Book (starred review)